At Hempland, we aim to promote the lifelong values of health and physical activity. Our curriculum is designed to promote the enjoyment of PE and also teach the fundamental skills to achieve their personal best. We intend to give children a wide range of experiences in order to inspire them to succeed and become physically confident.
How PE links with our school values
|Children learn to respect their own bodies and minds, as well as those of others while taking part in PE.|
|Children are all given the opportunity to compete and apply the skills they have learnt both in school and in events in the wider community.|
|PE allows children to be ambitious and gives them the skills needed to chase their dreams. It encourages them to be their best all of the time, and even when they think they are at their best, it encourages them to be better.|
|All children develop resilience through PE lessons. This can be the learning of a new skill, developing a skill or applying a skill. Children are encouraged to do their personal best and build on this throughout their time at school.|
- All year groups follow the National Curriculum or Development Matters.
- A carefully planned whole school PE curriculum promotes progression of skills and knowledge.
- Pupils from Year 1 to Year 6 are taught PE at least twice a week. Early Years children have at least one session a week and access to their outdoor area daily.
- All PE sessions are primarily taught by class teachers and throughout the school year, are also taught by other professional providers.
- Players and Community Support Staff from the York Knights support our PE teaching.
- Yorkshire Cricket Community ‘Chance to Shine’ support our PE teaching
- Year 4 children are taught to swim.
- We aim to have at least one brain break during the school day; this can consist of using GoNoodle, Just Dance, Supermovers and Tree Fu Tom, for example.
- Every lunchtime, we build on core physical skills and encourage children to stay active during their break. Children have a wide range of equipment and apparatus to use.
- We host intra competitions against other classes at Hempland and attend inter competitions against other schools. We like to offer all of our children the chance to compete.
- Children will build on and develop the fundamental skills taught in PE.
- Children will be able to apply the skills learnt and be able to show and adapt these successfully.
- Children will be able to display our Hempland values in all sporting opportunities.
- Children will improve their ‘Personal Best’ as they move through school.
- Children will leave Hempland as physical literate children, with a positive attitude towards PE and Sport.