At Hempland we strive to deliver a Modern Foreign Language curriculum that promotes a curiosity and love of languages. We encourage children’s confidence through a varied French curriculum that incorporates speaking, listening, reading and writing activities with the aim of developing the language skills necessary for future application.
How Languages links with our school values
|Children are taught respect for different languages, cultures and traditions.|
|Children have the opportunity to practise and apply language skills within the classroom, during theme days and also through the provision specialist language teaching.|
|Children will leave Hempland as confident language learners and with the skills they need to progress in their secondary education.|
|Children are encouraged to be resilient in their learning and to try their best while learning a new language.|
- MFL (French) is taught based on the National Curriculum for Years 3 to 6.
- Children in these year groups will be taught by a specialist French teacher for part of the year and by their class teacher.
- Children will be taught a carefully planned programme of French knowledge and skills to ensure progression and links to other subject areas where appropriate.
- All teachers in KS2 will have CPD to enhance and develop their French teaching.
- Speaking activities, songs and games are used to help improve recall of key words and phrases.
- Children will be respectful of the language, cultures and traditions of other countries.
- Children will leave Hempland with a good knowledge of the French language and the ability to communicate using the basics of the French language.
- Children will be motivated to continue to learn vocabulary of French and other languages and be eager to speak and communicate with others.