At Hempland we strive to deliver a Modern Foreign Language curriculum that promotes a curiosity and love of languages amongst our children. We encourage children’s confidence through a varied French curriculum that incorporates speaking, listening, reading and writing activities with the aim of developing the language skills necessary for future application.
What Languages looks like at Hempland
- As per the National Curriculum, French is taught to Year 3, 4, 5 and 6.
- Speaking activities, songs and games are used to help improve recall of key words and phrases.
- During the school day, some instructions in class are given in French, as well as English, for additional exposure to the language.
- French learning is linked to other curriculum area topics where possible.
- Despite a focus on French in the classroom, Spanish is also available as an after school club.
How we entwine Languages with our Hempland school values
|Children are taught respect for different languages, cultures and traditions.|
|Children have the opportunity to practise and apply language skills within the classroom and also through the provision of extra curricular clubs.|
|Children will leave Hempland as confident language learners and with the skills they need to progress in their secondary education.|
|Children are encouraged to be resilient in their learning and to try their best while learning a new language.|
How we know our Language curriculum is successful
- Children will be respectful of the language, cultures and traditions of other countries.
- Children will be motivated to learn vocabulary of other languages and be eager to speak and communicate with others.