At Hempland, we ensure that every child has the opportunity to develop their imagination and creativity in Art and Design through a range of sensory experiences, equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed to experiment with and create their own works of art and design. At Hempland, we see art as a vehicle of communication in which all pupils can clarify their ideas, thoughts and experiences. By looking at works of art and talking about them, our children appreciate the diversity of style and openly discuss their preferences using art related language. We believe that all children should be given the opportunity to express themselves through their art and to be given focused time and instruction in a range of techniques and media.
What Art and Design looks like at Hempland
- We follow the National Curriculum programmes of study for Key Stage 1 and 2 and EYFS Curriculum.
- Artist studies throughout the school allow children to learn about famous artist, craftmakers, designers and sculptors
- Whole school art events such as The Big Draw.
How Art and Design links with our Hempland school values
|Children learn to respect art from different cultures and time periods. Children will develop a mutual respect for one another through collaboration, discussion and the sharing of their work. They will also learn about the achievements of others, particularly famous artists, designers and craftmakers.|
|Children have the opportunity to explore, experiment and refine their skills, developing individuality and creativity. Their work is shared in a variety of ways, including art galleries for parents and visual displays around school.|
|Children are encouraged to form a love of art and design and must be ambitious in order to succeed at exploring new media and techniques.|
|Children are encouraged to experiment with new techniques and show resilience through the process of evaluating and improving their work. We encourage children to keep trying, refining and to have a positive mindset to new experiences and skills.|
How we know our Art and Design curriculum is successful
- Children will draw, paint and make with growing confidence, control and thought.
- Children will be confident to experiment with new skills and techniques within Art and Design.
- Children will be enthused and engaged by the subject and understand the professions which Art and Design skills are needed for.
- Children will be proud of their work and be able to discuss and share this with others.
- Children will take part in a wide range of inspiring, motivating and creative sessions where they are able to make and create using varied media.
- Children will show personal expression and individuality within their work.